HIS290 Introduction to History
An introduction to the methodology and philosophy of history, with particular emphases on preparing students for historical research and writing, on the public uses of history, and on the discipline as a Christian vocation.
- To recognize what is distinctive about history as an academic discipline and way of thinking about the past.
- To develop skill in research, writing, speaking, and working as a part of a team.
- To think critically about the uses of history in American culture and society.
- To reflect on the philosophy of history in light of one’s Christian faith, practice, and calling.
- To become familiar with the History Department at Bethel, including faculty, fellow students, alumni, and academic, extracurricular, and off-campus opportunities.